Tuesday, August 12, 2014

"Should Marijuana Be Legalized?" Response

I recently read an article "Should Marijuana Be Legalized?" written by Tatiana Vik and I couldn't agree more. As Vik points out, legalizing marijuana would bring in so much revenue to the state of Texas and will aid the funding of numerous programs across the state.

As a non-smoker myself, I have seen little harm to ever be done to marijuana. The only problem I see is when my friends get into trouble for carrying an almost harmless drug. According to the CDC, nearly 37,000 annual deaths are at the hand of a legal substance, alcohol. This is could be from car accidents, alcohol poisoning, ect. Also, alcohol is linked to cancer, and marijuana is known to elevate the pain of people with cancer and other severe diseases. So I ask myself. Why is alcohol consumption legal but marijuana not?

If marijuana was legalized, as noted in Vik's article, crime rate would decrease drastically and the influence of drug cartels in the state would also decrease. Isn't this what we want? It is already seen in places that have already legalized marijuana like Colorado and Washinton.

Vik made a very good argument and I agree completely. Marijuana should be legalized in Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment